Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010 in Review

 On the last day of the year I've decided to take some time to review and reflect on what's happened in my life in 2010.

The beginning of the year found me moving home for my final semester at Kansas State University (KSU).  I was student teaching at Junction City High School, so I moved back in with Mom and Dad for the next ten months.  The spring semester of 2010 was probably the semester where I learned the most during my five years at KSU, as I was able to apply some of the principles learned in previous semesters, work with students for an extended period of time, and learn from other teachers.  The time at home also brought the opportunity to be closer to family which I enjoyed!  My first niece was born in February and I liked to visit my grandmother in Chapman on the way home from school.


Graduation finally arrived in May, which brought the closing of 5 good years in Manhattan, KS at KSU.  Those years are filled with some fun memories and undoubtedly served to prepare me for the rest of my life.  Back on the farm, I was able to help out with some of the spring planting and look for a summer job before taking off to Indonesia, all the time enjoying Mom's homemade cook'n!
The Rocky Mountains continue to amaze this Kansas boy. 
The late spring through early fall found me on the road traveling to Colorado three times, Garden City, KS twice, Minnesota and Wisconsin, and around north central Kansas.
All the traveling put some miles on the car and allowed me to get familiar with the lonely highways of western Kansas and eastern Colorado.
From the end of July through mid-October I picked up a part-time job building fence while preparing to leave for Indonesia.  This was a busy and difficult time as there were some long days and many goodbyes.  Now I have been in Bandung, Indonesia for 1.5 months!


My brothers & me
Bandung, Indonesia
2011 will certainly be different as I live in Indonesia for the next two years, but I think it will be just as joyful!