Monday, December 27, 2010

Beginning a Journey in Indonesia

I arrived in Indonesia on November 17, 2010 and have now been living in Bandung for almost six weeks.

First thing first - Where is Indonesia?  Here's a couple maps to help get your bearings.



 I'm living on the island of Java (Jawa), in the province called West Java, in the city of Bandung.

You may have heard of Indonesia through the news in recent years because of the natural disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanoes that tend to occur in places like this near the Pacific Ring of Fire.  I have yet to experience any of these, but recent volcano eruptions on the island of Java have made international news.  The most recent was a small eruption in East Java from Mount Bromo.

The focus for me in the first year here will be learning the language and culture.  There have been a lot of fun experiences thus far and I hope to share many with you.