Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sign of the Times

Learning the Indonesian language has also provided opportunity to build relationships!  In my first few weeks in Bandung, I enjoyed practicing the language with people in the neighborhood close to where I live.  I have gotten to know multiple students who are studying in Bandung, children, small business owners, and families.  To my surprise I was not the only Caucasian living in the area.  Actually, there are two men, one from Oregon and another from South Africa, who are married to two Indonesian women from the neighborhood.  I had the opportunity to meet and visit with both couples and even attended the traditional Sundanese wedding reception of one (the Sundanese are the ethnic group native to West Java).  Interestingly enough both couples originally met via chat services online!  They both plan to live in their respective countries, the U.S. and South Africa, but with plans to visit and likely return to live in Indonesia.