Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Indonesian Host Family

My first two weeks in Indonesia were spent living with an Indonesian host family.  This was a great experience as it gave me some insight into an Indonesian family and they were just fun people to live with.  In the mornings, we all tended to be gone - their daughter to school, me to language school, the father to work, and the mother to various activities.  The evenings were enjoyed together as we ate supper and then tended to talk for quite some time into the evening.  Thankfully they all spoke English very well so we were able to communicate easily, and they were kind enough to help me get started with my language learning.  Here's a photo of me with the family.

This is taken from the top of their house looking over the valley behind their house.  Bandung is located near several mountains and is at a higher elevation than many other cities in Java.  Therefore the weather here is quite enjoyable, especially compared to the rest of a predominately hot and humid Indonesia.

My stay with the family also corresponded with my host father's birthday, so I enjoyed celebrating with them. We had a big meal of Indonesian food with some other family members and then enjoyed a cheesecake for dessert!

Overall it was a wonderful way to spend my first two weeks and I greatly appreciated the hospitality of this family.  They are still close, as I now live right down the street in a house with three Indonesian college students!