Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sepak Bola (Soccer)

In my first month and a half in Indonesia I've quickly learned the importance of soccer in Indonesia.  I arrived as the Asean Football Federation (AFF) soccer tournament was beginning.  There was much excitement in Indonesia as their national team made it farther than they had in several years - all the way to the championship.  They beat the Philippines twice in the semifinals, both times 1-0.  Indonesia faced Malaysia in the finals, but lost the first game 3-0, and didn't have enough goals in the second game as Indonesia won 2-1, so Malaysia took the championship.  I took some pictures of some of the Indonesian people in the neighborhood.  Everyone seemed to be watching the game!  Although I have yet to play soccer here, I have enjoyed watching and cheering for a sport and team I'm learning to like.

My roommate watches the championship game in our house.
Men on the side of the street watching the game.   Notice the magazine stand with the Indonesian soccer player, Christian Gonzalez, on the front page.