Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tenis Meja

Walking through the nearby neighborhood recently I came upon this sight...
Where rubble and trash had once collected amongst a few plants, a ping-pong table now stood.  Two men were playing while several children watched on.

After talking with some of the onlookers, I learned that members of the community had pooled their money to purchase the ping-pong table and the sign stated that one gentleman had given the land for the purpose of placing the table there.  Now the youth and men of the community enjoy playing here often in the afternoons.  When it rains the table is folded up and moved under a nearby shelter until the next time they want to play.  I would guess ping-pong probably ranks 6th in popularity behind the leading sports of soccer, futsol (like indoor soccer), badminton, volleyball, and basketball.  I might join them in a game one of these days, as I try to rekindle the skills from the days  of playing with my brothers in the basement of our house.