Thursday, February 10, 2011

Walking through the Hills of West Java

Almost a month and a half ago, one of my roommates and I took a walk from our house to the nearby hills/mountains north of Bandung (the city I am living in).  We walked up hill for about two hours, so a round trip totaling four hours.  It wasn't what I would normally experience on Christmas Eve, with temperatures in the 70s and partly-cloudy skies, which provided a nice sunburn when I returned.  But the scenery was amazing and I learned a little about the Indonesian countryside.  Here's some photos from our journey.
Towards the outskirts of Bandung, we came across several nice houses like this one.   There is also a national forest to the north of Bandung, which we walked alongside for part of our trail.



The higher we went, the more and more farm ground we saw.  I'm not sure of all crops they grow, but there's certainly a variety.
Of course we came across some Indonesian people out working!  I'm not sure what the woman and man are carrying in the photo above, but it appeared to be a crop recently harvested.  The group of men and women, old and young, to the left, were taking a break from their work in the field.
We came upon this village as we walked farther up the hill.  We only attracted a few stares.

And finally here's the view from our stopping point!  Looking down on the town of Lembang in the distance with the forest in the foreground and to the left.